The confidence that a sparkling white smile can give you is simply amazing. A bright smile can attract all the positive attention and draw in a lot of compliments, making you feel like you're the life of the party. But, not all of us are lucky enough to have naturally white teeth. Even if we did, certain external factors could make our teeth appear dull or yellowish in color. In such cases, the best way to get whiter teeth is by using teeth whitening solutions.
What is teeth whitening?
The process of getting rid of stains or discoloration from the surface of the teeth to make them appear whiter is called teeth whitening. Teeth whitening is done using a whitening gel, which is essentially an oral bleach. The whitening gel contains hydrogen peroxide, a bleaching agent that is present in most kinds of toothpaste. When applied on the teeth and activated, the whitening gel liberates oxygen molecules that penetrate the porous surface of the teeth. These molecules remove the coloring particles from the teeth and make them lighter in color, thereby giving you that sparkling white smile.
How do teeth stain?
- Teeth mostly stain as a result of improper brushing. Not brushing all the remote corners of the teeth leads to the accumulation of plaque and tartar on them, making them appear dull and discolored.
- Consuming a lot of colored foods, either artificial or natural, can make the teeth discolored.
- When the tooth develops an infection, such as a root canal infection, the tooth could appear duller than the adjoining teeth.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco can make the teeth stain to a severe extent. It can also lead to several oral conditions, among which oral cancer is a prominent one.
- In rare cases, the ill-effects of certain medications can have a negative effect on the color of the teeth.
Types of teeth whitening
Conventional teeth whitening:Also referred to as in-office teeth whitening, conventional teeth whitening is the simplest means of getting whiter teeth. The dentist would apply whitening gel on your teeth and spread it evenly. It is allowed to stay on the teeth for a few minutes after which it will be rinsed out. The procedure can be repeated multiple times to get the desired level of whitening.
Whitening using custom-trays:We would provide you with customized plastic trays that look similar to a mouthguard. The trays will have to be worn along with a whitening gel and can be used in the comfort of your house. The trays prevent the intervention of saliva with the gel, thereby making it more effective.
Laser teeth whitening: In this process, we use a photosensitive whitening gel. The gel will be activated using an activating light of the right wavelength. This produces a foam which makes the whitening process quicker than its alternatives. Patients who run tight on their schedules can find great use from this whitening process as it saves a lot of time.
Schedule an online appointment or call us at (614) 459-3229 to have a consultation with Dr. Peng and we’ll be able to guide you further.