Dental implants are a boon to patients who have lost their teeth. They are a combination of a metal implant stud and a tooth-like ceramic crown that replaces the tooth root and visible crown, respectively. Dentists from all around the world believe implants to be the best solution to replace missing teeth owing to their strength, durability, aesthetics, and longevity.
Drawbacks of missing teeth
- When a tooth is removed in its entirety, the remaining teeth in the jaw tend to drift from their orthodontically right positions. This could result in a malocclusion.
- Biting and chewing food would become increasingly difficult with missing teeth. Patients with missing teeth often express the inability to bite and chew food effectively or pain in the jaws while doing so.
- When you smile with missing teeth, the gap between them would be quite apparent. This could lead to frequent embarrassment coming your way when you socialize.
- Missing teeth could lead to jawbone deterioration over time, which could alter one's facial shape.
Procedure for getting dental implants
Prior to starting the implantation process, you would be required to satisfy a few conditions to confirm your candidacy for implants. Some of the factors that we take into consideration are jawbone health, jawbone size, space available for placing the implant, the overall state of health, the condition of the gums, etc. Based on the satisfaction of these factors, the candidacy for implants will be determined.
Next, you will be prepared for placing the implant stud. During the surgery, you will be administered with local anesthesia to numb the oral cavity. A hole will be made on the jawbone where the implant would be inserted. Highly sophisticated dental instruments will be used for the purpose. Once the implant is placed in position, the dentist would suggest a few weeks’ healing periods for the jawbone to grow around it. Once done, you will be prepared for fixing the crown on the implant stud.
The crown would be pre-fabricated after taking its dimensions with the help of a digital hand-held scanning tool. The crown will be fabricated to perfection so that it fits correctly in position without altering the bite. A connecting element called the abutment is used to place the crown on the implant stud. Dental adhesives will also be used along with it to fix the crown firmly in position. It could be polished to enhance the appearance, after which you would have your lost tooth perfectly restored.
Advantages of getting implants
- You would be able to bite and chew food like you used to before after getting implants.
- The way you pronounce words (phonetics) would return to normal.
- You will be able to smile and pose for pictures without feeling conscious of your appearance.
- Implants are long-lasting. With proper care, they would last for several years together without hassle.
- They exhibit excellent strength and durability.
- Implants are indistinguishable from natural teeth in terms of appearance.
Schedule an online appointment or call us at (614) 459-3229 to have a consultation with Dr. Peng and we’ll be able to guide you further.